7/15/09

On liking teenagers

I just had lunch with an old friend and her old friend. We were two teachers and a school social worker and the conversation naturally came around to the one thing we had most obviously in common - kids. We compared stories, laughed at ourselves and our students, and lamented the paucity of resources. Typical teacher talk.

Then we began discussing teaching and working with kids in general. As we moved off of ourselves and into the wider world in which we work, our stories all seemed to have a common theme - one that begged the question: why do so many adults who work with teens seem (or profess) to hate them?

I've seen a goodly number of teen-hating teachers and librarians in the last few years and I'm starting to worry that I'm destined to become one. Is it possible to maintain your compassion, composure, patience, and humor in the face of a decade or two of teen antics and angst? Will I gradually lose the ability to remember what 14, 15, 16 felt like? Or to remember the crap I pulled at those ages? How bloody annoying I was? How much life sucked?

1 comment:

  1. Well, I hope you won't. And I hope those that do figure out how to move on to a different job. I keep telling my staff to please let me know if I ever begin to lose touch with who I'm serving. It's so important. And I agree with you--there are so many people out there who work with teens who don't like them. I don't know why they don't move on. They should, because in the end, they're probably causing more damage than creating good.

    ReplyDelete